Friday, February 19, 2010

Letters 91 - 95


Letter # 91
Pvt. E. Cowley 42025054
1st Bn Hg Co 301 Inf
A.P.O. 94 c/o P.M. NY, NY

The Cowleys
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo 20 N.Y.
In France
Sept 28, 1944
Dearest family,
Got a letter from my Cowleys yesterday & am very glad everyone is feeling fine, that was bad news about your last half stick of gum however. The “Fruit Cake” you’re sending will come in mighty handy. Please send one slightly used fly swatter for the insects over here, never knew any one country could have so many. Tell Dad doe that problem he asked me about in Arithmetic could be answered by anyone who went in as far in Grammar school as he did, so he should be able to figure it out himself. So Connie got himself a “Loafer” jacket, hope it doesn’t cause him as much trouble as mine did me. Heard from Bob DeWitt & he’s still in N.Mexico but I’l imagine he’l be going across shortly.

I’m not so sure the German people, Catholics or not are going to do much welcoming. They’ve played quite a number of sneak tricks on the yanks in Germany so far. None of the boys have any amicable feeling towards the Krauts & personally I know the way I intend to deal with them all, if I get the chance. They’ Theres’ only one way to deal with a Nazis, young or old, male or female. Things are a lot different in this war than in the last so don’t believe any of the pacifist propaganda that the newspapers boldly print. Don’t know why I’m doing all this talking guess I just got it in for the Krautheads. Don’t pay any attention to it.

Well I wrote to Aunt Peg the other day, I’m still working for those sandwiches she puts out without crusts etc. You’d get a laff if you could see me now, I haven’t shaved in almost 2 weeks & the same applies to washing. Brushed my teeth a couple times however. I’m in such condition that Mary Criswell wouldn’t even recognize me. Feel fine thou & we are eating very, very well. Manage a couple hot, not too hot, meals a day. Have had chicken, Turkey & Pork chops a couple times each so I can’t complain about a thing. All kinds of apple orchards around here too soo… Got the B.E. News & enjoyed reading it very much, will give it to Higgins. Well, take care of yourselves & have a beer for me every Sat. night. Keep writing as my favorite mail comes from home.
Love to all, Eddie


Letter # 92
A.S.H. 4202505
Pvt. E. Cowley
1st Bn. Hg. Co. 301 Inf
A.P.O. 94 c/o P.M. NY, NY
The Cowleys
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo 20 N.Y.
War & Navy Departments
V-Mail Services
Official Business
Oct 9th, 1944, In France
Dear folks,
There I go again! Took a “warm shower” yest & I’m not kidding either. We were run thru the Q.M. laundry & it felt fine to be clean, for awhile at least. Well enjoy that scrapbook you’re saving very much & maybe after the war we can look it over & laugh at everything. Have finally received all my equipment, never mentioned it before for fear you might worry, but I lost just about everything I owned in a little engagement with the Krauts. Its quite a story & think Dad will get a bang out of it. Have quite a few to tell but they all have to wait until I can get home, take off my shoes, pants & put on Dad’s oldest bathrobe & have a little beer, cheese & crackers. Have an order for 35$ to send home as soon as I can get an to envelope, also 20$ more from a little poker game the other night. How’s Margaret Lou doing at school? Can hardly wait for those edibles, hope they arrive soon. Best of everything.

Your devoted son, Eddie

Letter # 93

Pvt. E. Cowley 42025054
1st Bn Hg Co 301 Inf
A.P.O. 94 c/o P.M. NY, NY

The Cowleys
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo 20 N.Y.

Oct 15, 1944
In France

Dear folks,

Received 2 letters from home 3 nights ago & also an issue of the B.E.N. How about the So. Buffalo News? Would like to get them very much. Give Nan my best wishes for her birthday, as belated as they are. Glad to hear Nels Thubridy is at school, imagine he’l like it a lot better than hanging around without any guys to pal around with. Am enclosing 10$ which Peggy can use to see the show, it isn’t much but I can’t see any sense in keeping even that much over here as we very seldom get a chance to spend a “franc”. Be sure and let me know if you received the two money orders I sent before, 35$ & 40$, Wrote to a girl up in Cleaveland, girl friend’s girl friend of one of my buddies. Heard from her a couple days ago & she seems like a pretty nice kid. Another “Pen-pal” for my list. Just got 3 letters from home – 2 v-mail. In it Peggy has just started back to school, its about time, guess they’l have a lot of “work” to make up. Don’t imagine it’l bother Peggy very much. By the way if Peggy has a “good” snapshot of herself laying around anyplace I’d like to have a Donnie MacDonald priority on it so I could show off all my family. Have good ones of both you & Dad & a not so good one of Peggy. How about it sis?

Glad to hear Marsie made the cadets, looks like all the O’Maras are going in for nursing. How’s Danny Riordan making out up at U.B.

Can’t tell you what part of France I’m in but at least I’m still in France. We get issued a pack of smokes, a little candy bar & all our toilet articles by Uncle Sam but I still crave candy. Did I ever tell you I lost 3 pr of glasses over here, all G.I. & am now using my old “basketball” glasses (have always used them anyhow) & have my good ones in my Duffle back at Division someplace. Took a hot shower today back at Q.M. & it felt pretty good. Never saw a country where it rains so damn much. Theres no place like the good old U.S.A.

Your Son, Eddie

Letter # 94


Pvt. E. Cowley 42025054
1st Bn Hg Co 301 Inf
A.P.O. 94 c/o P.M. NY, NY

Mr. E.P. Cowley Sr.
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo 20 N.Y.

Oct, 23, 1944
France,
Dear Dad,

Yesterday was quite a day for me as far as the mail goes, received 8 letters & my 1st letter from you. You asked me about quite a few things & I will try to tell you just what the score is over here. Received a “Record” from State also noticed that there has been quite a change in the old faculty. You remember Miss Mulholland who taught in Room 1W on the 1s as you enter the building & for 9 years was voted the most popular Teacher in the school, well she has been replaced by some Doctor from Ohio State. I took my 1st year of Latin from here & I sure would have liked to continue but thise war will make me appreciate home, family & school probably a lot more than I could even realize before.

Well, as usual I’m feeling good & counting the minutes till this is over. Imagine the radio & newspaper are really going at it hot & heavy these days but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the war drags into 1945. You probably can see that if you still listen to the radio like you used to. Remember Dec 7th, 1941, I was 16 years old at that time & got rather tired listening to the reports on the radio about Pearl Harbor & the Japs. You must have told me half a dozen times was a what that would mean to our country & every one we knew & you were right as can be. However think I might have a bit of a break when the European war is over. Looks like we’l go into Germany as occupational forces, of course its not certain but if we did it would be 100% better than going into China. If we do I can’t expect to come home until 46’ or maybe 47’ at the earliest. According to the present plans they’re calling for military occupation for 10 years but I don’t imagine one outfit could have to stay that long. So you see what we’re up against, the end of the war will probably be another beginning for us. Can’t expect to be let out as they there is plenty of guys over here who have been here 2 or 3 years & when I’m here as long as they have been then I can start thinking about those civilian clothes again. It shouldn’t be too bad as we will probably have good barracks, good food & maybe a pass now & then. Would like to visit Switzerland & Russia. Think it might be quite an education & I could gather plenty more stories to tell you when I finally do ring that door bell. Wouldn’t tell you all this except that I kinda think Mother expects to see me with the 1st boatload of Yanks to land in the States. Hitler is rallying the Germans for a “Fight to the last” & believe me it will be. After our Tanks and armour have crushed the bigger part of their defenses the Infantry will gladly “mop up” everything that lives in Germany. We know now that we can’t afford another affair like this in 20 years hence & I think if we don’t weaken now we can prevent it, what do you think? Don’t want you to worry too much about me as I’m damn careful of every step I take & will always continue to be that way. Say Dad, I’ve been thinking, how would you like to go out with me when I get home? We’l have a little “Two-man” party up at Kleinheins / and not in the “Bargain Basement” I’ll make your eyes pop out when you see the clothes I’m going to hang in that ale closet of mine. Might even let you try on the “White Dinner Jacket” I’ve been planning on. We’l spend the day up there & afterwards the beers will be on me. Strictly a “Father & son” get together. How about it? sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

Sorry to hear Al Smith, Wilkies & our Bishop died. Strange they all went in the same week.

Well, the Cards are the champs again & baseball can be forgotten for the rest of the winter. Tommy Collela, our old Sunday hero is really clicking this year. See where they beat Sinkwich & his crew a couple weeks ago. You always said you wouldn’t be able to stop the guy if he had a line & from the looks of things he’s got plenty of good healthy beef in front of him now. Bet “Bow” Redmond is telling everyone all about it wherever Bow is now. See So. Park lost to Bennet again this year, that’s getting monotonous, don’t you think. You know In a way I feel safer in France on Saturdays then I used to feel when the two of us would listen to Notre Dame. Every time they made a “Touch” I used to wonder if my insurance policy was paid in full. You’d beat on my shoulders with that “Irish” power but every now & then you’d wind up with a chair in your hands so I always figured it was time to brush my teeth on at least the Table between us. Received let. from Aunt Flo & Ed & Ken & Kitty. Will try to answer today. Bob DeWitts running around with my old girl, How do you like that. Well, take things easy & leave a glass or two of Elmer’s beer for an old Dragon.

Your son, Eddie

Letter # 95
A.S.H. 42025054
Pvt. E. Cowley
1st BN. HG. CO. 301 INF
A.P.O. 94 c/o P.M. NY, NY

The Cowleys
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo 20 N.Y.

War & Navy Departments
V-Mail Services
Official Business

Oct 25, 1944

Dear folks,

Received a package from home yesterday & have eaten most of it already. It landed in good shape & no one can figure out what I want the summer shorts for, so close to winter. Will save them for next summer & continue wearing my “long Johns”. Am hoping for a letter or two tonight as I haven’t received any in 3 days, that’s the way it usually runs. – Well, things are still rather quiet where I am & we might be bedding down for the winter, sure hope so. How is everyone at home, hope everyone is well. Amy enjoying the salt water Taffy now. Bet dad will be confused when he gets my letter, it confuses me also. According to this new point discharge system I’m about a year off the beam but it doesn’t matter as yet as we’ve still got a war to win. Don’t worry about me sleeping in a foxhole, the only time to worry is when I’m not sleeping in it. Its 2nd nature to me now. Boy Oh Boy! is this Taffy good. Think I’ll open a Candy Kitchen when I return. See where Lorenzo is building a new nest. Should be nice.

Love to all, Eddie


------------------------------------------------
And from the 1944 Hit Parade


No comments: