Saturday, July 18, 2009

Letters 22 - 24 The Holiday Letters



Letter # 22

Pvt E.P. Cowley 42025054
Seventh Company
Fifth Training Regiment, A.S.T.P.
Fort Benning, Georgia

The Cowleys
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo, N.Y.
Zone 20

Postmarked December 24, 1943

Thursday

Dear mom,

Been having a tough time trying to figure out how to make that phone call. I’m trying tonight and have high hopes of getting it thru. Wouldn’t have a chance of calling Christmas (it would take at least 6 hours) and tomorrow night I want to go into town and get my pictures and start them for Buffalo before bivouac, which is early Sunday morn.

All this week I haven’t had 10 minutes to myself. We’re getting ready for our trip and everything is in high gear. Feel as though I’ve neglected everyone by not sending cards or anything but just couldn’t do it. Hope those pictures make up for everything. Honest to God I think I’ve received a thousand Christmas cards, including $10 from Grandma and Aunt Flo, $2 from Aileen and Tom, the $5 from home of course, the package from home, the package from nan, and a nice little handbook and diary from Jane Stumph plus smokes from Aunt Peg. Also a swell great big letter from all my “classmates” at state. It was swell and I really appreciate everything. Be sure and thank everyone for me and tell them I’ll write as soon as we get in off the range.

By the way I hear “Doc” is in the hospital, I hope he’s all right. Let me know if you can find out how he is.

Tomorrow we go out on the firing range and shoot live ammunition for the 1st time. Do you realize I’m more than half way thru basic? The time seems to drag at times but I guess its moving along. Didn’t think it was possible to learn so much in such a short time, they really pile the stuff on us.

Just put the call in, the operator said it would take 3 to 4 hours so I’m in for a good long wait. I’ll try and get some letters out. Your card was very nice but you could never be as proud of your son in the army as your son is of you. I think your both tops and Peggy Lou is getting better all the time. Who knows but someday I might even love Peggy. Just joking anyone that can get a 97-1/2 is certainly my sister.

You asked about my numbers. Here they are 42025054 serial number; 381423 rifle number; 143977 bayonet number; 30 rifle roster number; 5 mortar squad number; 8 rifle and machine gun squad number. Does that straighten everything out? I’ve got quite a few of them.

Well I suppose I should close and try to answer that pile of mail. Hope you had a good Christmas and hope that the next year will bring us all together again. Best of health to everyone and best wishes from your favorite son.

Eddie Paul

Letter # 23

Pvt E. Cowley 42025054
Seventh Company
Fifth Training Regiment, A.S.T.P.
Fort Benning, Georgia

The Cowleys
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo, N.Y.
Zone 20

Xmas night

December 25, 1943

Dear folks,

Its Christmas night and I’ve just finished all my packing for tomorrow. All set for bivouac at last. Gee, it was great talking to you the other night. I couldn’t think of much to say in that five minutes. Guess that’s the way it goes though. I could just see the Christmas tree with all the lights and trimmings and Dad sitting on the couch with a bottle of Ballantines. Kinda made me feel as though I were home again.

I’m sorry but my pictures won’t be home for about a month. Last night I tried to get into town to get them but couldn’t get a bus or taxi. We walked for 4 hours and finally gave up after about 10 miles. Now I won’t be ale to get into town until after the 2 weeks.

Lights are out a in a few minutes so I have to close for now. Happy New Year to all and my love.

Eddie Paul


Letter # 24

Pvt E. Cowley 42025054
Seventh Company
Fifth Training Regiment, A.S.T.P.
Fort Benning, Georgia

The Cowleys
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo, N.Y.
Zone 20

Postmarked January 4, 1944

New Years 1944

Dear folks,

I’m celebrating the New Year by taking time off to write a letter or two. Received two letters from home today, one from Peggy. Guess I called the Ballantine’s night, think all the odds were with me however. Lou is calling his shots too so you say.

Well I’ve got some good news for you I qualified with the MI, garand as you probably know it. No matter what you call it its still the rifle and its required that we are qualified marksmen to go to school. Sounds kinda foolish but thats the way everything sounds in the army. Glad its over however, another successful phase in my army career. I also qualified as high expert with the 30 cal Browning machine highest in the 1st platoon even. It doesn’t mean anything but it sounds great. Among the other weapons which I’ve fired is the 60mm mortar, carbine and anti tank grenade. The grenade is fired from the 03’ Springfield which Dad probably used to drill with. Almost had tomorrow off but I got K.P. as usual so I’ll be busy for about 14 hours.

Tell Peggy I won’t be able to send the design because its back in garrison and 20 miles away from me. I’m writing by candlelight and boy if Mary Margaret Criswell were only here would it be romantic? Its getting cold in this tent and the candle isn’t keeping me very warm. Try it sometime you’l soon find out.

Happy New Year to all and to all a good night.

Love,
Eddie Paul

--------------------------------
Who knows? Maybe Mary Margaret Criswell was singing this lovely 1943 song.

No comments: