Thursday, September 24, 2009

Letters 51 - 55



Letter # 51


Pvt. E. Cowley 42025054
Hgts.Co. 1st Bn. 301st Inf.
A.P.O. 94
Camp McCain Miss.
The Cowleys
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo, N.Y.
Zone 20
Postmarked April 10, 1944
Easter Sunday, 1944

Dear Mom,

Just received the pictures and think they’re great. You both are looking fine except perhaps you look a little tired. We’ll see what we can do about finishing this rotten business up & then you can forget that job for good.  Also received the candy & toiletries yesterday. Please don’t send any more “Arrid” as I’m still on the 1st jar & have 3 big jars unopened. Once again I’m waiting for a call to go thru. Its 2:45 and I’ve been waiting since about 9:00 o’clock this morning. Should be getting thru soon. Is Lou home as yet?

How come you had the picture taken so close to the house instead of on the lawn or someplace like that. Wrote to Aunt Peg today. I’ll gradually get around to writing to the family. I got the slippers last week & they’re just what I needed. Pretty flashy elastic. Thanks a million. I’m sending my glasses home today. When you go downtown drop them in at Shlagin’s & have them fixed. Take money out of my account. I’d like to have them when & If I get a furlough. So long for now. Hope to be talking to you soon.
Love, Eddie


Letter # 53

Pvt. E. Cowley 42025054
Hgts.Co. 1st Bn. 301st Inf.
A.P.O. 94
Camp McCain Miss.
The Cowleys
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo, N.Y.
Zone 20
Postmarked April 14, 1944
Tuesday,
Dear Mom,
Well we’re out in the field again. Just got in from the soft job of defending a hill all day. Don’t imagine this will be any where’s near as bad as Benning.

I’m sorry & very disappointed about that call. I placed it at 9 o’clock Easter Morning & waited till 5. Then I had to go to the PX & get some supplies as they close at 6:00. The call came in at 5:30 & I missed it by 10 minutes. Also was calling Bette & missed her call too. Things happen like that all the time though, Hope I didn’t spoil your Easter by making you stay in & wait. Did everything I could but just wasn’t lucky.

It rained like the devil last night but our pup tent held up fine & was good & dry. The weather, when it isn’t raining is nice & warm & I’m even getting a little tan
Well there’s a rifle inspection in a few minutes so I should close for awhile.
Love to all, Eddie
Letter # 54
Pvt. E. Cowley 42025054
Hgts.Co. 1st Bn. 301st Inf.
A.P.O. 94
Camp McCain Miss.
The Cowleys
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo, N.Y.
Zone 20
Postmarked April 19, 1944
Tuesday,

Dear Mom & Dad,

Just received your last two letters in which you seem to be doing everything in your power to get me a furlough. I know you must be anxious for me to get one but you’re not any more anxious than I.  I’m kinda disappointed in you for writing to Jim Mead about such a trivial matter. Bet Dad didn’t know you sent it. As soon as I deserve a furlough & it can be arranged I will get home. Am fairly sure of coming home in May & intended to surprise you as I just found out myself last week. Please don’t ever mention anything like writing to the C.O. or anything similar again. Think of the kids in the So. Pac. & Italy, England & India who haven’t been home for years. Who \will I have to pull strings for me when I get across? I’ll have to learn how to take care of myself sometime & that time has got to be now. You understand the way I feel about it, I know. As for pestering the “Big Shots” that’s out of the question. A buck private could never just walk up to an officer & start a conversation. Even to see the company Com. I’d have to get permission from 3 non-coms. Don’t think I’ll be able to see Bill Coughlin as it just isn’t Army ethics and I’d feel out of place with all the officers he would have around.

Don’t worry about me while I’m out in the field as its safer out here than in camp. Am really enjoying these 2 weeks & would just as soon stay out here. By the way your coat is swell & I’m sorry I didn’t mention it before. Also I received the candy & stationery which will & has (the candy) come in very handy.

Please forget about furlough as its just as Dad says it does tend to make a fella feel kinda discontent & restless. I’ll be home when my turn comes & not before. Know all you did was with the best intentions but don’t write to Bill Coughlin or anyone else anymore. Well, have to clean my rifle & prepare to hit the sack. I’m still out in the field but am coming in Saturday. Will write again soon!

Love to all,
Eddie


Letter # 55
Pvt. E. Cowley 42025054
Hgts.Co. 1st Bn. 301st Inf.
A.P.O. 94
Camp McCain Miss.
The Cowleys
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo, N.Y.
Zone 20
Postmarked April 24, 1944

Dear Mom,
Can’t understand why you haven’t heard from me as I wrote a letter out on maneuvers which should have reached you by now. However if it didn’t reach you the gist of the letter was I’m getting or at least am in line for a May furlough. Wish you hadn’t bothered Jim Mead & don’t want you to mention writing to the C.O. or anyone else.

Was going to try to call today but there was a posted delay of six hours so I didn’t bother.  Hope I filled out the form correctly as I certainly could you use the money.  We’re back in camp now wearing summer uniforms. How’s the weather in Buffalo. Still pretty cold I imagine.

Thanks a million for going to all the trouble about this income tax for me.

Don’t think it would be advisable for Grandma to come the down as the transportation is very poor & she’d have to walk almost every place she went. Another thing it would be difficult to get a place for her to stay. I’m glad she’s thinking of me though & I’ll drop her a note soon.

Yes, that is Willie Moran of Dragon fame & he is the 1st Dragon to be commissioned. Glad to see him get it.

Should be paid before my furlough so I won’t need much money but I might need 10 or 20 so don’t be surprised if I ask for a little. Will get 7 days with traveling time so it should be all right.

Wish you wouldn’t talk about a furlough in every other letter as it bothers me. There’s 20,000 other soldiers in the 94th who want to get home just as much as I do & strange as it seems the army considers every one. Know you understand.

Have been very busy getting my equipment in shape after the beating it took in the last 2 weeks. Have to oil my rifle tonight come to think of it.  Got a G.I. haircut (no hair) today as its pretty hot down here & they’re a lot more comfortable.

Glad to see all the Turbritys getting married & natchurally to officers. Don’t know who I’ll ever get to marry me as a buck private. Well, I’ve got to get busy so I’ll be closing for awhile.

Love to all, Eddie

------------------------------------
With all the missed phone calls and furlough waiting, here is a 1944 classic by the Ink Spots and Ella Fitzgerald:  Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall

1 comment:

Bette and Ed Cowley said...

Jamie, I know I'm showing my age but the Ink Spots and Ella sure bring back those old memories