Monday, October 5, 2009

Letters 56 - 60




Letter # 56

Pvt. E. Cowley 42025054
Hgts.Co. 1st Bn. 301st Inf.
A.P.O. 94
Camp McCain Miss.

The Cowleys
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo, N.Y.
Zone 20

Postmarked April 23, 1944

Thursday

Dear Mom,

Well I’ve got some good news at last. I’m going on furlough with the next bunch to pull out. Am afraid I’ll be needing some money as I might not get paid before I leave. Could you send me 40$ from my bank account as soon as possible. (is that good news?) Perhaps you had better wire it. Don’t know how I can work my finances as I was counting on using my pay for train fare & spending my bank money. Well all that can be arranged later I guess. All I have to do now is sweat this thing out for another week or two.

Received the newspaper today & think its swell. Certainly would like to have you send it every week. By the way I wish you’d congratulate Mr. Brady on Chucks commission. Think its great. Sorry to hear Joe Rooney was wounded. Hope it isn’t too serious.

Have been pretty busy this week with 2 K.P.’s already & still two more days to go. Don’t know how the army ever got pots & pans clean before my time.

The weather down here is pretty fair. We’re in our sun tans & I’ll have wear them out of camp & then change into my O.D.’s when I hit the good old northlands. I’ll have all kinds of uniforms with me.

Saw Mickey Rooney the other night in Andy Hardy's Blonde Trouble or something like that & split my sides laughing. Even if he is 4F he’s a good comedian. Well, haven’t much more to say now but will have plenty when I get home.

Love to all,
Eddie

Letter # 57

Pvt. E. Cowley 42025054
Hgts.Co. 1st Bn. 301st Inf.
A.P.O. 94
Camp McCain Miss.

The Cowleys
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo, N.Y.
Zone 20

Sunday, April 30, 1944

Dear Mom,

I’m spending today recuperating from a 25 mile forced march yesterday. It came as a surprise and darn near set me on my fanny. We made it in pretty good time 6 ½ hours, that’s with ½ hour out for lunch & 4, 10 minute rest periods. Just think how fast I’ll be able to move around when I get home.

Got a big kick out of Aunt Anna’s letter in which she told me all about the kids & the dance. I think she had just as much fun as they did fixing them up. She certainly fixed them in great style. Bet Peggy loved it.

Speaking of Mary Criswell, Bob DeWitt has been pestering me to write her & find out (subtly) how he stands with Ginny Warren, or something like that, who goes around with Mary. Just joking I told him that she was an old flame & might think I had other reasons for writing. And now coincidentally you’re calling her an old flame. Poor Mary is certainly taking a beating. Can understand why (stubby) Nehin can’t forget me as I dam near drove her crazy when I was in her class. I had Miss Benders when I won that famous book though. Looks like I left an indelible mark on all those nutty teachers.

Well, my chances for a furlough are very good. Matter of fact my papers are already in Division so I should be home before the 15th providing everything goes as scheduled. Did I tell you I just had my hair cut off a couple weeks ago as the heat down here is terrific & is getting hotter all the time. Doubt very much if Donnie is in combat all ready. He probably is learning how to be a sailor (which isn’t bad) somewhere along the American waters.

Thank you for the weather reports. I won’t be able to wear my coat as it is a very heavy wool over coat, but my O.D.’s will be plenty warm as long as it isn’t too cold.When I get home I want to put on one of my white shirts again so I hope they’re still around. Civilian clothes would feel great for a couple hours after seeing and wearing nothing but army for 7 months.

Peggy must be quite a reader if she can go thru gone with the wind. Her brother couldn’t read it in 10 yrs. matter of fact the picture was even too long for me to see. By the way whats playing at the Enlanger for the next couple weeks. Might drop in there for a play if something good is playing.
Did I tell you Bob DeWitt is going to be a turret gunner in a B-19 (Flying Fort) He’s qualified Cadet but the air corps is giving up trying to bomb Germany out and is giving the job to G.I. Joe the MI’s. Hope the invasion gets underway soon as I still wouldn’t like the distinction of being 1st to hit the beach.

Well, its just about chow time so I’ll be saying so long for awhile

Love to all,
Eddie

Letter # 58A

Pvt. E. Cowley 42025054
Hgts.Co. 1st Bn. 301st Inf.
A.P.O. 94
Camp McCain Miss.

The Cowleys
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo, N.Y.
Zone 20

Wednesday May 17, 1944

Dear Mom,

Well, I’m back in good ole Mississippi again. Really had a wonderful time at home and all ready am looking for another furlough. We arrived on time, 4 o’clock this morning to be exact. I was very lucky and was Company fireman all day which means I just about had the day off. Higgins was greeted with K.P. early this morn. I’ve got all my equipment back in order and am ready for an overnight problem tomorrow. Guess I had more people see me off than any 9 guys up there. The sandwiches, candy, cookies etc. were swell & kept me going till dinner yesterday. We met Howard Curler & a few other fellows in Chicago & shot the bull all the way to McCain.

Had a bunch of letters here to read this afternoon so I had a great time. However I’m pretty tired so I’m gonna hit the sack early tonight “for a change”.

Love to all,
Eddie

Letter # 58B

Pvt. E. Cowley 42025054
Hgts.Co. 1st Bn. 301st Inf.
A.P.O. 94
Camp McCain Miss.

The Cowleys
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo, N.Y.
Zone 20

Postmarked May 20, 1944

Friday,

Dear Mom,

At last I’m strong enough to hold my pen pretty steady. My cold is coming along fine. Its over 90° down here so I’ve sweat sweat out most of it already. Can understand why Southerners are so lazy with all this heat. What do you mean forget the Turkey sandwiches? That’s something I never could do. Hope Peggy’s Confirmation comes off okay & the Bishop doesn’t floor her with that wallop. I’ll have to send her something, that is if I can find something worth sending down here.

For the past couple weeks we’ve been on a pretty rugged schedule so I should be knocking myself back into shape in a week or so. We’re going on some kind of maneuvers with the Tank corps soon. I’ve got K.P. again tomorrow so I suppose I’ll be pretty busy this weekend but am going to try to get into town for awhile.

Bob DeWitt should be getting home soon according to his latest letter. By the way has Roy & John Woodman come home as yet? Tell them I was sorry I had to miss them. Well I’ve got a guard mount to make & a bunch of letters to answer so I’ll say so long for awhile.

Love to all,
Eddie

Letter # 59

Pvt. E. Cowley 42025054
Hgts.Co. 1st Bn. 301st Inf.
A.P.O. 94
Camp McCain Miss.

The Cowleys
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo, N.Y.
Zone 20

Postmarked May 26, 1944

Rec’d May 29th Eddie’s 19th Birthday

Thursday,

Dear Mom,

Just received the snap shots which are dandy. You & dad both took swell pictures & Betty also. Of course Harry & I never did have much to take pictures with so we seemed to take out usual horrible picture. Its chow time now so I shall continue later!

Well back from chow, what a change from those meals I had at home. My morale is a lot higher now that I’ve seen all the folks again & tasted good food. I’ve been riding around on tanks the last couple of days. Its just like riding the cyclone only there isn’t any dance hall next door. We’re giving the 772nd tank Battalion a good workout.

There’s a sweet rumor going around that furloughs are going to be continued so if I’m lucky I might get home again in 4 or 5 months. Can’t count on it though as we may ship anytime (but personally I doubt it) I’ve showed the pictures to all the boys & they think they're swell. Tonight we’re going into the field until Sat. so I probably won’t be able to write until the weekend. Am going to try & have some snaps taken down here to send home.

Better have dad fix that zipper if he’s going to have any more pictures taken. Well, have to get ready to play cops & robbers tonight.

Love to all,
Eddie

Letter # 60

Pvt. E. Cowley 42025054
Hgts.Co. 1st Bn. 301st Inf.
A.P.O. 94
Camp McCain Miss.

The Cowleys
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo, N.Y.
Zone 20

Tuesday May 30, 1944

Dear Mom,

Well I’m nineteen years old yesterday & despite my years am feeling fine & healthy. My cold has long been sweated out of me by the heat down here. All you have to do down here is march a couple hundred yds & then you’re soaking wet. Never thought I had so much sweat in me. I’d like to fall asleep in a nice big bath tub with an ice pack on my head. I’d even put a few moth crystals (sweater shoppe) in with me like Dad always does.

Received my box today and it is dandy. Got a big kick out of genius in the So. Buff. kids who emptied the can of worms in the Seneca, Thanks for the financial lift also! Haven’t written much in the past two weeks as the heat takes everything out of us and we just have enough strength left to fall into sack. Got a nice letter and card from my twin, June McMahon whose birthday is also the 28th. She said “Boom” Cannan got his wings the other day. We’ve got a parade this afternoon and a 25 mile march tonight so I’ll probably be standing on my ears before the day is thru.

Had a big divisional parade the other day & put on a big demonstration for undersecretary of war Patterson & a bunch of brass hats. They liked us, damn it! Think we’re going out to Holly Springs for a couple of weeks soon. Tried to get into town Sat. but there wasn’t any bus transportation & the lousy Southerners wouldn’t pick up anyone if they ran over you. Well, we’re falling out soon so I shall start getting prepared.

Love to all,
Eddie

No comments: