Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Letters 16 & 17




Pvt. E. Cowley 42025054
Seventh Company
Fifth Training Regiment, A.S.T.P.
Fort Benning, Georgia

Miss Peggy Cowley
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo, N.Y.
Zone 20

Postmarked December 2, 1943

Dear Peggy,


Very pleased to hear from you and also very surprised. Glad to hear you liked the banner, kinda thought you would. Maybe I’ll send you some others from different camps. Thanks a lot for reassuring me of the excellent care Mother is taking of my room.

Your sorority “uniforms” sound pretty good and I’ll bet they’re gonna look hep. Your choice of colours is dandy and when I get home you better watch that sweater.

Peggy, I have to go to “chow” so I’ll finish the letter later. Well, I’m back from chow and might have a few minutes. As soon as the whistle blows I have to jump into all my equipment and go out to “Hells half acres” There we crawl on our bellies with out noses in the dirt for 3 hours. Wouldn’t you like to see me do that?

I think it was yesterday that I wrote to George Clancy. Ann will probably run up and grab the letter and tell you all about it in her next letter. Don’t understand what you mean by saying your “keeping up the family tradition” by getting 100 in Latin. You know I never had any “tradition” along that line. Keep up the good work and if your good enough you might be able to get into Buffalo State.

I lost Betty McKerrows address so if she wants me to write to her give her my address and she can write and I’ll answer her.

Well Peggy, I have to get this letter in the mail before the whistle so take it easy on all those high school boys and I’ll see you in a few months.


Love from,
Big brother

Letter # 17

Pvt. E. Cowley 42025054
Seventh Company
Fifth Training Regiment, A.S.T.P.
Fort Benning, Georgia

The “Cowleys”
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo, N.Y.
Zone 20

Postmarked December 4, 1943

Saturday, 1943

Dear family,

Just finished inspection, got a gig for not having the lock on my footlocker at the correct angle. What a life, clean rifle & bayonet & shoes till I’m blue in the face & then draw a gig for some stupid thing like that. I don’t complain anymore though, just take things as they come. That’s the best way to get along.

Yesterday we wound up bayonet training and as usual we were dead. as usual. Take it form me there’s nothing more tiresome that bayonet drill, maybe Dad had some of it in his War. It’s a great assult weapon and it gives me a lot more confidence to know I can handle it fairly well, just in case I ever see action.

In an hour or so we’re having a Battalion parade with a band, and a reviewing stand and all the trimmings. Hope it comes out okay. Dave, Harry & I are going to meet John Woodman in town tonight. It’s the only time in the week we can take it easy and relax.

I feel pretty good these days and haven’t been sick at all so don’t even suggest it. Am pretty relieved now that the 4 toughest weeks of basic are behind me. It should be clear sailing thru the rest of basic withstanding slight mishaps.

Well chow is just about due so I’ll close for awhile.

Love to all,
Eddie Jr.

P.S.

I wrote to Nan & Aunt Peggy last week. Will write to Aileen & Tom this week. Received a card of enrollment from St. Thomas, want to thank them.

1943 Hit Parade Continue
Shoo Shoo Baby - Ella Mae Morse

No comments: