Sunday, July 26, 2009

Letters 30 - 35




Letter # 30

Pvt. E. Cowley 42025054
Seventh Company
Fifth Training Regiment, A.S.T.P.
Fort Benning, Georgia

The Cowleys
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo, N.Y.
Zone 20

Postmarked February 4, 1944

Wednesday night, 1944

Dear Mom,

At last Uncle Sam is gonna give me time to write a decent letter. Basic is for the better part over. Monday we had six hours of mental exams Think I did fairly well. Tuesday we had graduation exercises in the form of a 25 mile march. We did it in 8 hours so you can imagine the cadence. Today we really did things up fine. Began this morning with 2 hours of drill, then two hours to clean rifle, equipment & huts. They really poured it on in the afternoon We had our final physical tests, 33 push ups, 11 burpees in 20 sec, 300 yds in 45 sec (with G.I. shoes of course) carry a man on our back for 75 yds in 20 sec, an agility course, & then the pay off, a 4 mile forced march (run with full packs) in less than 50 minutes. I qualified 100% in everything except the running but then no one could in that, made 49 sec & best time was 47 so I’m pretty well satisfied.

Tonight I’m damn tired but still have strength enough to raise a pen. Was thinking of sending a night letter but couldn’t say much in 25 words anyhow. Oh! Almost forgot to mention, our platoon was the only one in the battalion which didn’t lose a man in the 25 mile march. We were also the best on the forced march losing only one man as compared to the numerous casualties of other platoons. Also we had a drill down and all the officers in the Battalion agreed that our platoon was the best drilled in the Battalion and many said we were the best looking training group they had ever seen, all of which puts us on top where we belong. I’ll give you one guess who’s the best soldier in the platoon (ha, ha)

Well, now that all my bragging is done maybe I can give you a little news. Rumors are flying thick and fast but I’m pretty sure that I might have a chance of going either northeast or Midwest, Just have to keep hoping for the best, but its up to the army as usual. I’d like to get within 1000 miles of home and then I’d always be able to get a couple days home if I had a 1 week furlough, which is what they give. Maybe I’ll be home for my birthday if all goes well.

Appreciated your letter about my boys, they’re the best guys in the world and I’ll never stop reliving the times the Dragons have had together. It’l be a great day when we all come home again. We’ve always planned a frat cottage out at the lake some summer. Whatever summer it is or how many of us there are we’ll have that someday, guess everyone will be happy when that day comes. The army will work that fat fanny off Doc. That’s one thing they don’t tolerate. Kenny won’t be such an egoist either after the air corps has him for awhile. Even though the air corps isn’t much of an outlet compared to the fighting Infantry they must have a little discipline at least. It’l seem darned funny saluting Harry & the rest. But M maybe I’ll beat them to it & they’l have to salute me. Doubt if my eyes could pass O.C.S. but I’ll never stop trying, they can count on that.

Glad to hear “Ma Green” moved off the street. The kids can grow up in peace now and won’t have to look at Randolph like we did.
Hope everyone is healthy, wealthy & I know your all wise. Should be good & healthy after that two # of butter. The food down here is nothing to what I used to have but it keep one alive & that’s the main purpose I guess. We eat everything (except egg plant) and absorb all the nourishment we can from it. Don’t eat for pleasure any more, just to get full so we can keep going. You should have known before Kenny & Doc tried on my hat that the only one heads an Infantry soldier’s hat fits is the soldier’s and his father’s right Dad? Good night to all and love to all the Cowleys.


Eddie Paul

----------------------------------------

Letter # 31

Pvt. E.P. Cowley 42025054
7th Co. 5th Regt ASTP
Fort Benning, Georgia

The Cowleys
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo, N.Y.
Zone 20

Saturday, February 5, 1944

Mother,

At last our training is over, we just returned from the final review. Everything went off great in the parade. Now we’re soldiers after all our work. I’m going over to see Danny this afternoon. Its about an 8 mile walk but whats that to me now. You gave me a rather odd address but with the help of nineteen buddies I decoded it and think I know where he should be.Well, all we have to do now is wait until we’re shipped. Haven’t the slightest idea where I’ll be going but I think I’ll know sometime next week. As soon I do find out I’ll let you know.

Going into town today for another one of those steaks. Saw John Woodman last week for probably the last time until the war ends.
Feel fine, still putting on weight. Maybe I’ll weigh as much as Dad when I get home. Of course not as chubby. Bet he’ll shoot me if I keep up that kind of talk. We get a furlough after 3 months of college. I’m getting closer all the time. I’ll be home before you know it. If I go north there’s a chance we might get a delayed route or something and I’d have a chance to stop at Buffalo. Naturally that’s very doubtful but it sounds good anyhow.

Can’t understand how they expect Danny to take basic. Its gonna be very tough on that bum leg of his. Hope he can stand it though, know he’d like it. Most of it was very interesting but also very fatiguing. I’ll have to give him a few good pointers, guess I made all the mistakes possible. Peggy sent a very nice letter which I’ll answer next week. Should a have a few minutes now that we’re thru.

They (the army) made up some programs for us. Think you’l like them. Will send it home tomorrow. You’l have a tough time picking me out of all that Khaki. I’m kneeling in the 3rd row, 2nd from the Louie on the right. I forgot to thank you for the fudge & cookies. They were swell.

Have to get going before they stick me on some detail. Love to all,

Eddie

------------------------------

Letter # 32

Pvt. E.P. Cowley 42025054
7th Co. 5th Regt ASTP
Fort Benning, Georgia

The Cowleys
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo, N.Y.
Zone 20

Postmarked, February 9, 1944

Tuesday, 1944

Mother,

Hello again! I’m taking a night off for the letter writing and there’s no better place to write than home so here’s the news.
I saw Danny Sat., he looks swell, feels fine and still likes the army. (he doesn’t know) He was starting training Monday so I told him a little of what is ahead of him. Looked at his rifle. Never saw anything so dirty in all my army career. Tell Marie if he doesn’t get it clean soon, he’s gonna spend almost as much time in the Kitchen as I did. He’s got a fairly nice location so I a imagine he’l do alright for himself. He said something about taking only 8 weeks training. That I wouldn’t count on. The army just isn’t like that. They’re even giving us a post training course now which we is harder than basic.

Haven’t heard anything yet about about shipping. I’m all set to go but kinda suspect we won’t leave for another week or so. Its okay with me though as the weather down here is fine, I’m feeling good and they’ve even got ice cream at the P.X. We’re not doing much, had a couple marches this week that’s about all. I’ve even seen a couple shows so everything is fine.

I’m not going to get the gloves & shoes until I go north, I hope, hope, hope. I’m gonna try & catch up with my writing so I’ll close. Love to all.

Little Ed
---------------------

Letter # 33

Pvt. E. Cowley 42025054
7th Co. 5th Regt ASTP
Fort Benning, Georgia

The Cowleys
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo, N.Y.
Zone 20

Postmarked, February 12, 1944

Mother,

I enclosed a defense stamp for Peggy so don’t lose it when you open the letter. I’m sorry about that Cornell, I was just kidding Betty. Of course I’ve still got a chance of going north. Somehow or other it doesn’t bother me too much where I’m going to be sent. As you say its almost too much to hope for Cornell, but I’m expecting the worst so I won’t be disappointed. I’m really very sorry that you got so excited over the rumor I spread. First of all I’ve got to get out of here. It looks like we might be here any length of time up to a month. They’re giving us advanced & review training. We have a march every other day so we won’t be getting soft.

How does Danny like his basic so far? Butch doesn’t know what a soft life he’s in for in that slapstick navy of ours. Well I’ve got to shine up my rifle some more so I’ll be thinking of home and marching for another couple of days, so long.

Love,
Eddie
-----------------------

Letter # 34

Pvt. E. Cowley 42025054
7th Co. 5th Regt ASTP
Fort Benning, Georgia

Miss Peggy Cowley
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo, N.Y.
Zone 20

Postmarked, February 17, 1944

Hello Peggy,

How ya been kid? I’m sorry I haven’t written but you know I didn’t have much time before. Glad to hear to you did okay (notice that “okay”, I used to do okay, you did fine) in your exams. You couldn’t top my mark in Ec.Cit. but I could never top your mark in Latin so that makes us even ha!ha!

I’m gonna send you $7$ worth of war stamps soon so make room for them in your book. By the way, you must have quite a collection by know haven’t you. How’s your roller skating these days? Mother says you go up to G Skateland quite a bit. Must be pretty lively up there now that your club is going in mass. Stay away from all the servicemen though as they’re much too old for you. I know, I’m one of them.

Did you get your sweater yet? I still feel guilty about not sending you the design. As I said before I had it all drawn but then I realized I didn’t know the color scheme so I managed to lose it.
Well, I’ll be leaving Fort Benning soon, next week in fact. I still don’t know where I’m going but I hope it isn’t too far away from home as I wouldn’t be able to get home on furlough and that would break Bette McKerrows heart. Would it not?

Things must be pretty quiet around Parson with all the boys in the army. Do the kids still hang around down there? Well, its time I went to chow so I can build up my delicate frame. I also just received the So. Buffalo News so I’m gonna take a peek at it. Write soon!

Love,
Eddie

P.S. Just received your Valentine. Its swell! Thanks a million.


-------------------

Letter # 35

Pvt. E. Cowley 42025054
7th Co. 5th Regt ASTP
Fort Benning, Georgia

The Cowleys
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo, N.Y.
Zone 20

Postmarked, February 17, 1944

Wednesday, 1944

Dear Mom,

I’ve got today off so I’m going to catch up on my writing once more. Luckily, I was put on a detail last night and managed to avoid working today. Well, yesterday I turned in my rifle and bayonet. Hated to do it of course but its about time they took the things off our hands. This morning I found out we’re leaving between the 24th & 26th. Destination unknown but its gonna be either Maine, middle west or California. From pretty reliable rumors I’ve gathered that the majority of us will probably go to California. I’ll have to hope like the devil that I go to Maine. By the way, how does that Stein song go? I understand we’re given some consideration as to our original service command. Hope so!

How’s everything at home? Guess its getting pretty cold up there from what my correspondents tell me. Did you hear Johnny Fungen got a discharge. Don’t know why myself, Bette mentioned it. Bob DeWitts in Greensboro N.C. Says he doesn’t like the air corps, he doesn’t know what a vacation he’s taking.

I’m gonna start taking $6.25 out every month for war bonds. I’ve They’ve discontinued the $3.75 so next month I’ll change over. You should receive a bond in the next month or so as my 5 months will soon be up. From then on you’l get a bond every 3 months which should be a little better. Also I have $7 worth of stamps which I will send home. I’d like Peggy to have them for as an Easter present or something similar.

Its starting to rain. Feels great to hear the rain beating on the roof for a change instead of the helmet. We’re having a big company party tomorrow night, chicken & everything. A few of the boys are going to put on a little musical afterwards so it should be a lot of fun.

40 hours a week sounds a lot better than 48. Hope you like your new job, imagine it will okay. You’l be right next door to Dad which should be fine. Maybe you can play checkers over at the firehouse during lunch hour. Speaking of checkers I played the hut champion the other day. I almost beat him, how I don’t know. As it was the game was a draw. He insists on a return match but I tell him I can’t be bothered. Also told him Dad was the best checker player in the Fire Dept. That kinda scared him so I’ll let things stand as they are for awhile. I’ve really built that father o’mine up. Hope he appreciates it. He’s famous all over the United States for just about everything now. Well, best of health to all from your khaki wacky son.

Love,
Eddie

-----------------------
The Number One "Silly Song" of 1944 Mairzy Doats

No comments: