Friday, July 10, 2009

Letters 18 & 19



Letter # 18

Pvt. E.P. Cowley 42025054
Seventh Company
Fifth Training Regiment, A.S.T.P.
Fort Benning, Georgia

The Cowleys
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo, N.Y.

Postmarked December 8, 1943

Tuesday Morn,

Dear Mom,

We have a little free time this morning so I’ll try to write a letter. Last night we were on a tactical reconnaissance problem in the woods. It was raining terrificly and the ground was cold and very, very damp. Our objective was to make our way thru 3 miles of heavily wooded area & swamp to 8th Division road. Between the starting point & the objective there was about 300 enemy troop armed with flares, torpedoes, rifles & machine guns. It was really brutal carrying the full field pack & rifle thru all that. Whenever we are fired upon we have to stretch out on the ground as low & noiseless as possible. I lost my patrol the 1st time we encountered the enemy which was about 200 yds from the beginning. Picked my way all alone for the remainder if the 3 miles. The compass was with the patrol & I had to move by the moon. Got thru all right and am still living so I guess everythings okay. We go on a long march today so I’ll have to start polishing again.

You should have got my hat by now, how do you like it? What does Peggy think of it? Does it fit Dad? Have to get my blood tested and typed now so I’ll have to close soon. I was picked up by the M.P.s with Dave Sunday afternoon. We were walking over to the service club & stepped on a Highway which we shouldn’t have. Why I don’t know. They even picked up a dog that ran out onto the Highway. Boy those MPs are really lousy. Well, I’ll write again soon.

Love to all
Eddie
----------------------

Letter # 19

Pvt. E. Cowley 42025054
Seventh Company
Fifth Training Regiment, A.S.T.P.
Fort Benning, Georgia

The Cowleys
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo, N.Y.
Zone 20

Postmarked December 9, 1943

Dear Mom,

Sorry I haven’t written very much lately but you know how time is in the army, very scarce. We’re talking about the Irish now & Dugan, Doyle, & I are defending the green with our lives.

Came thru all that rain & mud the other day in pretty fair shape. Kinda thought I might get a bad cold but I’m darn glad I didn’t and know you will be too,

Haven’t time to say much more as lights are just about out. We’ve had an awful lot of running, exercise, obstacle course, & hand to hand combat. Took care of some Englishman who didn’t care for the Irish today (with my elbows of course, guess he’l pull thru though)

How’s everything in So. Buffalo these days? Does Miss McDade miss me very much? This battle of the Irish is reaching riot stage. I’ll have to reach for my bayonet any minute now. How is Uncle Lou coming with that CDD? Hope he gets it, know he’d be a lot better off.

I’ll let you know the few things I want for Christmas. If any of the family want ask you what I would want tell them to send a little money I’ll need it for some dress shoes, belt & other things I’ll need soon. That’s just in case they ask of course.

Lots of love to all, Eddie or 42025054-381423-143977-30

________________

The song that meant the most to every soldier in 1943
"I'll Be Home For Christmas"

No comments: