Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Letters 20 and 21 A/B



Letter # 20

Pvt. E. Cowley 42025054
Seventh Company
Fifth Training Regiment, A.S.T.P.
Fort Benning, Georgia

The Cowleys
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo, N.Y.
Zone 20

Postmarked December 13, 1943

Saturday, 1943

Dear Mom,

Today we had our regular big inspection and they say we flunked it miserably. It was quite a disappointment to me, not that I spent all last night cleaning & washing but because I wanted to get into town to get the proofs for the pictures I had taken last week. I had hoped to have the pictures home just before Christmas but guess its out of the question now. Hope you won’t mind waiting a week or two after Christmas. The picture will arrive sometime I’m quite confident.

Well, I’m on the 6th week of basic now, almost half way there. Last week was tough as the dickens but I’m resigned to my fate at last. My hat should have arrived by now, it wasn’t hurt crushed in the mail was it? its insured if it was. Today is Sunday and I just finished my laundry, even made 50 cents by washing another fellows field jacket This morning we had another rifle inspection and somehow or other we passed. Could go into town now but everything is closed anyhow. Did a little writing this afternoon. Wrote a brief account of army life and sending it to Mulholland. Perhaps she’l have it published in the school paper.

Got Christmas cards from Connie & Lil, Mrs. Hasselbeck “Doc’s” aunt Jane Stumych, & the college. Also got some smokes from the News & a book on phychology from school. The Sophomore class sent some stationary so I’m pretty well set.

Next week I’ll have to be right on the ball as we’re learning how to fire the machine gun, mortar & rifle. If I can get this down pat the rest of basic will be a snap. Did I tell you there is a pink eye epidemic down here & we have to take drops in the eye for it. I haven’t had it so ar. Think I’m immune anyhow.

You asked what I’d like for Christmas well a nice box of stuff would be appreciated very much. Please include in box set of watercolours & paper. You can send the set I have & don’t forget the brushes, think there’s about three. I figure I might just as well let things go until I get to college. Want to get a couple pairs of civilian shoes, dress belt, & also want to have my clothes tailored. That’s where any extra money will come in handy. I intend to send pictures to Grandma, Nan, Aunt Peg, Aunt Flo, Bette & of course home. I’ll have one left over perhaps Peggy Lou would like it.

That idea about Grandma would be swell. Hope she agrees to it. Well, I hope everyone is feeling well and still taking good care of my room.

Lots of love to all
Little Ed

P.S. Think I’ll try to call early Christmas morn around 8 or 9 o’clock, okay?

----------------------------------------

Letter # 21A

Private E.P. Cowley Jr. 42025054
Seventh Company
Fifth Training Regiment, A.S.T.P.
Fort Benning, Georgia

The Cowleys
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo, N.Y.
Zone 20

Postmarked December 19, 1943

Dear family,

Received your Christmas box yesterday and it was swell. I’m going to hang up the stocking Christmas eve just like old times. The fellas took care of the cookies & fudge as soon as I opened the box. That’s the way everything goes around here. I hid the candy bars & gum (how did you ever get it?) & also the fruit cake. I can take care of those all by myself, I hope. Enjoyed reading the So. Buffalo news & the funnies. Ann & Tip sent a very nice box which we had a swell time with. You’d be surprised to see how fast food goes with 20 starving soldiers grabbing from all angles.

I saw my proofs the other night can’t say there too good but guess they’ll be all right. Rather confused as to when I’ll be able to send the picture. We go out on Bivouacs either Christmas or the day after. The pictures won’t be done until Christmas eve & I don’t think I’ll be able to get in to town & I’ll be on in the field for 2 weeks after that. Whatever happens you’ll get the pictures as soon as possible so please forgive me for not getting it home in time for Christmas.

Hope your having a tree this year even if its just a little one it would do fine. I’ll be thinking of home more than usual Christmas day and know it will be just like always. Will try my hardest to get that call thru. It usually takes about 6 hours or so, I’ll get an early start and perhaps you’ll get the call either Christmas morning or afternoon. Hope that’s all right with you. Received Christmas cards from Aunt Peg, Nan & Pap, Connie & Lil, Ann Clancy. Be sure & thank them all for me. I won’t have time to thank them myself but it I think it was swell they remembered me, especially Connie & Lil. Was quite surprised to hear from them.

Received Peggys letters and am quite highly honored to be the one to design their clubs insignia. I’ll do it very soon, know their anxious to get their sweaters if their anything like the Dragons were.

Well I’ve got a lot of writing to do and as usual not much time to do it in so I’ll close with a big “Merry Christmas” and hope that I will talk to you Saturday.

Love to all,
Eddie Jr.

P.S. The emblem on the hat is just the regular U.S. army insignia. Don’t know just what those things stand for that you spoke about. Glad you like it but sorry it too small for Dad ha!ha!
----------------------------------
Letter # 21B

Pvt. E. Cowley 42025054
Seventh Company
Fifth Training Regiment, A.S.T.P.
Fort Benning, Georgia

Miss Peggy Cowley
35 Woodside Ave.
Buffalo, N.Y.
Zone 20

Postmarked December 24, 1943

Dear Peggy,

Just a little note from your soldier brother. How is everything down at Parson & Judds these days? Hows school & a lot more hows? Guess your doing all right by your average. Keep it up high, have a good time & you’ll soon be a classmate of mine up at state. Hope so!

I’m enclosing an A.S.T.P. patch. It’s the insignia of my outfit. When & if I get to college that’s what I’ll wear. It should look pretty nice on one of your sport jackets or something. You know better than I do about things like that.

I’ve been working on that design for your club I’m not sure just what you wanted. Think they would have something like that already made at the store. It would be a better idea to buy it like that. I’d imagine it would cost quite a bit to have a drawing reproduced. I’ve got one made but I’d have to do a color scheme & things like that. If you still want me to do it write & let me know.

Be good and don’t study too hard, haha

Your best boy friend,
Eddie
-------------------------------------------------
Along with Big Band and Swing, the big musical event was OKLAHOMA on Broadway. You Tube didn't have the original by Alfred Drake, so here is a wonderful concert version with Hugh Jackman as Curlie.

No comments: