Sunday, June 28, 2009

Letter #8



Pvt. E. Cowley 42025054
Co. A. 2nd Area
Barracks 2R
Camp Upton N.Y.

The Cowleys
35 Woodside Avenue
Buffalo N.Y.
Zone 20

Tuesday
Oct 26, 1943

Dear Mom,

At last I’m leaving Camp Upton. Last night we received our shipping orders. I’m going with an A.S.T.P. group. Hope we go to Benning, Georgia. I hear it’s a pretty fair spot. I’m glad I got that ASTP, you know I never would have gotton into it if you hadn’t wanted (insisted) that I try the V-12 exam. You must have suspected.

Its almost 9:00 A.M. and we’re sitting around the barracks waiting for final checkup on our clothing. If anything is missing we have to pay for it out of our overstuffed salaries. But I should worry I’ve got twice as much equipment as I was issued. Wait till the guy next to me finds out!

I intended to send my insurance and war bonds home but after K.P. they were all soaked and I put them in my furlough bag to dry. I’ll send them soon. This is the first day its rained down here so naturally I ship out in the rain.

When we go we wear our helmets, & O.D.’s. We look very much like we’re going overseas. The band down at the station plays the Air Corps song, Cassions go rolling, Infantry song (marching) and Over There. Everyone nearby thinks we’re going to open a second front and bawls profusely. Its quite military, I guess.

As soon I get to my camp I’ll write and I would be very much pleased if you would send about $15 in a registered letter, okay?

It’s a good thing I called the other night as I’ll be almost to far away to do much calling from now on. Well, best regards to everyone back home and I hope everyone all of you takes good care of them yourselves this winter.

Don’t write any more letters until you get my new address.


Love to all

Eddie Jr.

P.S. Did Mr. Brady see my little notation?

-------------------

Just to bring back some memories. What would Eddie and his friends have heard on the radio in 1943? "I've Heard That Song Before" by Harry James and his orchestra:

1 comment:

Kathleen Cowley said...

Jamie,great tunes, my mother loved the song -she even sang me a bar!
Mr. Brady was the postman.